Thursday, February 25, 2010

Local Spirit

As seen on TV, there is no lack of spirit in either Whistler or Vancouver.  It  makes you wonder about all the other communities in our province.  Though my community isn't as busy as what was first thought, you don't need to go far to find where everyone is hiding.  Most of the local are hanging out in different shops and cafes where TVs are broad-casting the Olympic Games 24/7.  I took the time this week to go to a few of the places.

The first place I went was Gelato Carina.  It is a little gelato place on Squamish's main street.  Just for the Olympics, they invested in a large flat-screen TV where people can keep up to date on the Olympics while eating their gelato.  It's amazing to see how many people it draws.  I was in there today watching Women's Curling and everyone was debating on what Canada's next move should be or would be.  It was cool to listen to everyone's strategy and how they would play the game.  I can only imagine what it is like when hockey is on!  If you are in the Squamish area, I suggest you check out this great little place.

The next place I have been frequenting is the Squamish House or Quest University.  All during the Olympic Games they are housing volunteers as well as providing a place for everyone to watch the Olympic Games.  You can go there and order some dinner in the cafeteria and sit down to watch the game, which is what my parents and I have been doing for the last little bit.  It's so fun to be in a place where everyone's excited, no matter what the outcome of the game is.  There are people all in red with cow-bells, air horns, those blow up clapper things and of course...their very loud voices.  Every time Canada makes a goal, the roar is deafening and your ear drums get blasted with the air horn.  heres a look at Squamish house.


The last place I have experienced is our local Recreation Centre.  Brennan Park Rec Centre also has all their TV's tuned into the Olympic Games.  You can watch them while swimming or skating.  It's great.

I feel this is really bringing everyone out from the community.  One thing is for sure, everyone here has caught the Olympic bug.  No matter who you are, young, old, man women.  The Olympic Games have effected you somehow.  Now I am off to Wild at Art, a local event that showcases our local performers.  There is someone new performing at Gelato Carina every night.  Tonight it is my good friend Jocelyn Pettit and she has asked me to perform with her in one of her songs.  It will be great fun!

Keep the spirits up everyone and keep enjoying the Olympic Games!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment