Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Last Shove

It's an understatement to say I'm sad to see the Olympics Games go.  I thought I would be relieved that all the craziness would be going and that we could all go back to our normal lives. Truth be told, I loved the craziness, I loved spirit, I loves the culture, I loved the events, I loved the people it brought.  I loved it all.  I want to do this blog post on the last couple days of the Olympic Games and what I did to make it last as long as I could.

Yesterday, I finally got the chance to visit the cauldron.  Good thing too since it is getting extinguished tonight.  It was packed there with many people trying to get one last look at the cauldron.  It was amazing that such a thing would bring such a crowd.



Also yesterday, Students LIVE got a chance to go to VANOC HQ where we sorted through swag.  We took huge bags so we could distribute it to everyone.  Everyone wanted a piece of the Olympic Games.  On the SkyTrain, the escalators, the hallways, the streets.  People were literally tearing stuff out of our hands.  We had boxes of pins and posters.  At one point, Dezmond Mok, http://www.desmondmokphotography.com/dm/blog/blog.html , got mobbed coming out of the SkyTrain.  We had to drag him out and push people out of the way so we could get to street level without getting mobbed!  It was crazy but SO much fun. We all had a blast!

After we got the chance to exit the SkyTrain, I met up with some friends and we headed off to Atlantic House on Granville Island.  I had no idea what to expect.  I was pleasantly surprised when I found out Sean Majumdar (This Hour Has 22 Minutes) was the host.  He was hilarious.  He did some stand up comedy which included an actual phone call to Air Canada to change his flight since his flight was during the Gold Medal Hockey Game...which we totally kicked butt in by the way!  He wasn't successful...even when he tried to tell the operator he was Rick Mercer....and then he was Russell Peters....It was hilarious.

The point of Atlantic House was to showcase music from the Maritimes.  They had performances every night of the Olympic Games.  Last night included the likes of: Richard Wood, Blou, David Myles and Tara Oram.  Here are some pictures.




That night was amazing and I will always remember it.

Today was just as exciting.  I got together with a friends and we went to my local Rec Centre to watch the Gold Medal Hockey Game.  There was many people there all cheering Canada on.  We were all shocked when USA got a goal within the last 30 seconds of the 3rd period.  We were all sitting on the edges of our seats and biting our nails wondering what the out come would be.  I can't begin to explain the relief that flooded through me when Sid Crosby made the final goal.  I was so happy.  We were all jumping up and down, screaming, making as much noise as we possibly could.  It was something to remember.

Thats my little brother in the bottom left corner....I swear we aren't related.


As I write this I am watching the Closing Ceremonies.  I can't help but think about the Opening Ceremonies that seem so long ago yet it feels like these 2 weeks have gone by so fast!  I am sad that we can't have the Olympic Games more often.  It saddens me that everyone's going home and we will soon go back to our everyday lives.  Though I expect, it will never be the same here again.

 I'd like to thank Students LIVE for giving me the opportunity.  This was more than I expected.  I never thought in my wildest dreams I would have gone to the Opening Ceremonies or gone to any of these events.

Don't worry this isn't my last blog post.  I still have many subjects to discuss, so keep posted!

For now....I guess Students LIVE is going to have to fundraise so we can go to the London Summer Olympic Games....hint hint.....:)

1 comment: