Sunday, March 14, 2010

For The Love of the Game

Hockey is a game enjoyed by all ages.  I know 6 year olds that know more about the game and players than some of the players themselves!  I babysit one boy who has so many hockey cards, he was able to make all the Olympic Teams from all the countries.  He spent 2 hours telling me a brief history about each player.  I was amazed.

Yesterday, I had the chance to go see a Sledge Hockey game.  USA vs. South Korea.  It was amazing to see this sport.  The men on that team are amazing to have over come so much to continue doing something they love!  Sledge Hockey is something that has always intrigued me, and it was great to see so many people turn out to cheer on the teams.  Whether you were young or old, able bodied or disabled, the game brought everyone together.

The beginning of the game was interesting for Evelyn Dias - http://evelyn-olympic-blog.blogspot.com - and myself.  We got our tickets and went to sit down, only to find out our row didn't exist.  The VANOC helpers were great, and got us different tickets...at a better location than we were originally...hehehe.  We got to our section to find our seats were in the middle of literally a mob of proud USA fans.  VERY PROUD USA fans.  The game hadn't even started yet, when one of those very proud USA fans accidentally spilled their beer down my back.  I just kept telling myself it's all part of the experience.  We ended up moving so we could sit with Jasmine Dhaliwal - http://jasminedhaliwal.blogspot.com - .  That's when we found ourselves next to one of the boldest little boys I have ever met.

My first encounter with this boy was when he asked me who I was cheering for.  I told him I wasn't decided yet and he told me I should cheer for the USA because they were winning.  He informed me that's what he does at every game I go to.  I had to suppress my giggles.  He was decked out in Canada gear from head to toe with a cow bell around his neck, clutching his Miga and Sumi stuffies.  I thanked him for the advice and continued watching the game.  One of my favourite discoveries during the Olympic Games has been the Bam-Bam noise makers.  They are 2 inflatable sticks that make a cool sound when you beat them together.  I was beating them to the beat of a South Korean motivational chant, when something grabbed them.  The littler boy stood, there my Bam-Bam in his hand, staring at me.

"I thought you were going to cheer for USA like I told you!"  He said to me.  "I still don't know what team I'm going for."  I replied.  "I told you, USA."  He said.  I agreed and kept watching.  It was comical really.  The little boy never sat down the whole time.  He wanted desperately to get on the jumbo-tron.  Every time the camera guy came around, I would tell the boy to make as much noise as he could.  I don't think his parents were very happy with me, but I wanted to help this little boy.  He never did get on.  I felt bad, but hey, he was still enjoying himself.  I never did get the little boy's name, but by the end of the game, we were best buds.  I ended up giving him my blue RBC Bam-Bams.  He was stoked.  I taught him how to use them and even though it was the end of the game, he left the stadium beating them together, making a huge racket.  I don't think his parents we very happy with me...again, but hey, when you have someone so young so enthusiastic for a game like he was, I believe you need to support that however you can.

1 comment:

  1. Wow i love you blog its awesome nice colors you must have did hard work on your blog. Keep up the good work. Thanks

    ReplyDelete